John Cavan has over a decade of experience in traffic, parking, traffic design, and transportation engineering and planning with Wells + Associates. He works for both private and public sector clients on a wide variety of transportation issues including traffic impact and parking studies, transportation demand management monitoring, and neighborhood traffic management plans.
As a member of the W+A traffic engineering team, John is regularly called upon to analyze the capacity of existing and future roadway networks, determine the traffic impacts of proposed developments on transportation facilities, and recommend mitigation measures to clients to improve traffic operations.
John possesses broad expertise that includes traffic impact analysis, roadway capacity analyses and traffic forecasting, parking analysis, parking reduction studies, Transportation Demand Management monitoring, signal warrant analysis and design, sign and pavement marking design, speed limit studies, neighborhood traffic management plans, and other operational analyses.
- What do you like best about working at W+A?
- I enjoy working with a good team of people here.
- What motivates you?
- I like finding new and innovative solutions to problems.
- How do you relax?
- I enjoy going on good hike. I also like to watch a good game on TV while I have something cooking in the slow-cooker.
- If you could live in any other time period, what would it be and why?
- I am fascinated with Ancient Rome. The engineer in me was always interested in the cities, buildings, and aqueducts that they built.
- Starbucks order?
- Black coffee. Guess I never mastered the Starbucks ordering thing.
- Favorite sports team?
- Washington Capitals
- Favorite subject in school?
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, University of Virginia
- Professional Engineer (P.E.): Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, Florida, Delaware, and New Jersey
- Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE): Institute of Transportation Engineers