Patrick Monroe, P.E. is the Regional Manager of Wells + Associates’ Charlotte, NC office. A former Senior Engineering Project Manager in the Land Development Section at the Charlotte Department of Transportation (CDOT), Patrick works with our clients on a wide range of traffic engineering, multimodal transportation planning, and real estate development projects.
With over five years of experience within CDOT, Patrick has a thorough understanding of the City of Charlotte’s regulatory standards, policy goals, and general best practices relating to transportation and traffic engineering, including Comprehensive Transportation Review (CTR) Guidelines as part of the City of Charlotte’s Unified Development Ordinance (UDO).
He has an extensive background in the field of transportation and traffic engineering, with experience resolving complex transportation design and construction issues for land development projects during his tenure at CDOT. Patrick is experienced in preparing traffic impact studies, access management review, traffic signal design, and performing independent reviews of land development and roadway infrastructure projects.
Within the traffic design sphere, Patrick has experience in roadway design and access management, traffic signal and ITS design, pavement marking and signage design, and temporary traffic control design.
Patrick’s traffic engineering experience includes addressing the transportation aspects of rezoning and by-right projects; reviewing land development and public infrastructure projects for compliance with the engineering standards and best practices related to the Charlotte Land Development Standards; Charlotte Streets Manual and Comprehensive Transportation Review; NCDOT Roadway Standards; MUTCD standards; and AASHTO’s Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets.
He is licensed as a Professional Engineer (P.E.) in the state of North Carolina, is a certified Work Zone Traffic Control Supervisor in North Carolina, and is an active member of the Institute of Transportation Engineers. Prior to his time at CDOT, Patrick was a transportation engineer in private practice for nearly three years and was a civil engineering intern at the Port of Los Angeles.
Q + A
- What interested you in transportation?
- Transportation is necessary for everyone to be successful in their day-to-day lives. I enjoy getting to work on projects that have a positive impact for the community.
- What do you like best about working at W+A?
- Wells + Associates is an industry leader in the transportation and traffic space, and I enjoy getting to work with the talented experts and leaders who share my passion for providing transportation solutions for all.
- Favorite vacation spot?
- Anywhere with a nice beach.
- Make and model of your first car?
- 1998 Jeep Cherokee.
- Favorite sports team?
- Clemson Tigers Football – GO TIGERS!
- Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, Clemson University
- Professional Engineer (P.E.), North Carolina