The Wells + Associates summer internship program is designed to help aspiring traffic engineers, transportation planners, and transportation consultants gain valuable, on-the-job work experience in the transportation planning and engineering field. Our firm has a long interaction history with engineering schools and students, including participation in engineering career fairs and networking events. Our paid intern program is the pinnacle of our connection with promising university students and has led to full-time job opportunities at W+A for participants after they graduate.
The W+A paid internship program generally spans from mid-May to mid-August, helping college interns gain experience working alongside our engineers and planners during a ±32-hour work week.
Real-World Work Experience
What does a summer look like for our college interns? It normally begins with meeting team members from across our offices, both in person and virtually. Computer and office systems training, get-to-know-you meetings with specific teams, and HR coordination are all a part of the mix. Not to mention lunch and learn opportunities.
Our interns also gain experience in AutoCAD and benefit from introductory sessions about specific transportation areas such as traffic design, traffic studies, queuing studies, transportation demand management (TDM) program management, and more. They also sit in on client collaboration calls and meetings, gaining a strong understanding of the real-world implications of our work.
The duties and responsibilities of each of our interns vary but often include assisting with and exposure to:
- Technical analyses (HCS, Synchro, Microstation, VISSIM, SIDRA)
- Traffic counts and fieldwork
- Performing and compiling special traffic data analyses to include trip generation, parking demand, and other studies
- Writing and assisting in technical report preparation
- Preparation of traffic signal systems, lighting, maintenance of traffic, detour, signing and striping, and transportation-related plans and graphics
- Participation in the implementation of TDM/mobility management plans and programs