Marie Cox is an accomplished project manager and sustainable mobility consultant who helps communities and workplaces shape the future of transportation through empowering individuals with mobility choices. In her role with Wells + Associates, Marie works closely with commercial and residential real estate properties and developments to leverage transportation programs and amenities to enhance sustainability, gain a competitive advantage, and attract tenants.
With over a decade of experience in client service, consulting, and transportation demand management (TDM), Marie thinks strategically about commuter programs and transportation options and amenities, leveraging data to develop or enhance campaigns that influence commute behavior to solve challenges and achieve goals that are important to her clients. Having lived without a vehicle for over 10 years, she is able to understand barriers residents and employees may experience when trying a new commute and opportunities to overcome obstacles in order to create sustainable behavior change.
In recognition of her expertise in TDM and mobility management, Marie received the 40 Under 40 award from the Association for Commuter Transportation (ACT) and was accepted to ACT’s ImpACT! Leadership Program. She also was one of the first individuals nationwide to be designated as a Transportation Demand Management Certified Professional (TDM-CP) and served as Chair of the Commuter Connections Employer Outreach Committee for the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments.
Marie regularly gives presentations and leads training programs before a wide range of groups in the real estate, development, and transportation fields, from smaller group training sessions to large corporate audiences.
Q + A
- What got you interested in transportation?
- When my car stopped working in 2010, I had to find all new ways of getting around for groceries, work, and school. After the initial shock, I realized the value it brought to my life to walk, bike, run, and take transit everywhere and the rest is history!
- How do you like to relax?
- I enjoy going for a run, being out on the water, painting, writing, or simply sitting outside with my two dogs.
- Plane, train, car, or bike?
- Train - or kayak/canoe
- Your ideal weekend?
- Spending lots of time outside either hiking, paddling, or relaxing, trying a new restaurant, and hitting up the farmers market followed by watching football with friends.
- Your favorite sports team?
- New England Patriots and Virginia Tech Hokies
- What motivates you to work hard?
- I love to find creative ways to solve challenges and figuring out pathways and processes to achieve goals. Having great relationships with my clients and my team also is a big motivator!
- Transportation Demand Management Certified Professional (TDM-CP)