Larry Sefcik is a veteran member of our Traffic Design Services team and has an impressive three decades of experience in traffic and transportation engineering. Prior to joining Wells + Associates, he worked for the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT).
His experience includes signal warrant analysis and design, sign and pavement marking designs, development of traffic control plans, traffic simulation, collection and analysis of traffic count and accident data, speed studies, bicycle and pedestrian studies and design layout, traffic impact studies, and other operational studies. Larry has conducted meetings with politicians, homeowner associations, elected officials, law enforcement, and others. He works to achieve consensus to solve traffic and transportation engineering challenges.
Despite his many years of experience, Larry is always learning. He participates in ongoing education and has completed over 150 classes, seminars, and webinars, on topics such as sidewalks and shared use paths, safety analysis, parking management, traffic signal systems, roundabout designs, American Disabilities Act (ADA) design standards, situational leadership, and value engineering.
- What do you like best about W+A?
- W+A offers great perks including a matching 401k, summer hours with every other Friday off, and company outings like picnics and bowling. I also really enjoy the overall company culture of hardworking individuals, yet in a place that is fun to work.
- How did you get interested in transportation?
- The specific field of designing plans for the installation of traffic signals is very rewarding. I love the detail of the design. It’s a great sense of accomplishment to see traffic signals installed and operating so they efficiently and effectively move vehicles and goods.
- How do you relax?
- Running, exercising, and playing sports in general, such as Ultimate Frisbee. I also like to watch sports live or on TV.
- Your favorite place to travel and why?
- Anywhere abroad. I love to meet people from other countries and experience different cultures, peoples, and food. I’ve visited at least 30 different countries over the years.
- Favorite sports team?
- Washington Redskins
- Favorite movie?
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Maryland