Prince William County Traffic Engineering and Transportation Consulting
Wells + Associates provides traffic engineering, parking, transportation planning, traffic signal design, and TDM services for real estate developers, property owners, land use attorneys, site civil engineers, architects and other clients in Prince William County, Virginia.
As the Prince William County population grows, transportation and parking are being transformed from one end of the county to the other, with public and private transportation projects focused on issues such as road and intersection upgrades and improvements, modernized parking, shared-use paths for bicyclists and pedestrians, transit and shared mobility options, and more. Our team works across all the County’s magisterial districts and incorporated enclaves, serving the growing western areas including Haymarket, Gainesville, the City of Manassas and the City of Manassas Park to the transforming eastern areas including Woodbridge, the Town of Dumfries, Occoquan, Quantico, and more.
We work on transportation projects for data centers, warehouses, and distribution centers; mixed-use developments, office, commercial, and retail properties; hospitals and healthcare facilities; institutional properties including churches and schools; and other property owners and developers.
Traffic Engineers and Transportation Consultants for Prince William County Property Development
Our traffic engineers, traffic designers, and transportation planners work from our Manassas office to guide the transportation aspects of land development. We help developers and property owners meet requirements related to policies and regulations that apply to real estate development, including:
- assessing impacts of traffic generated by new or changed uses
- applying for Traffic Impact Analysis (TIA) deferrals based on County threshold requirements
- designing traffic systems in accord with the VDOT Road Design Manual and Prince William County Design and Construction Standards Manual (DCSM)
- producing design waivers and access management exceptions for substandard conditions
- evaluating parking requirements based on the Zoning Ordinance for parking tabulation studies
- creating traffic solutions in conformance with MUTCD and AASHTO guidelines
Our traffic engineering and design teams assist with a wide range of traffic engineering and transportation issues, such as:
- Street design – including street sight distances, intersections, site access and entrances, and traffic control
- Traffic impact analyses – including trip generation, trip distribution, and estimates of future traffic conditions
- Parking layout and design
- Transportation demand management (TDM) planning and implementation
- Street lighting design
- Shared use paths and facilities for bicycles and pedestrians
- Maintenance of traffic plans
Traffic Impact Studies to Support Entitlement Approvals in Prince William
Our traffic engineers are called upon to help secure entitlement approvals for real estate development projects that require traffic impact studies. We work with developers to perform detailed traffic impact analyses to support development projects, including projects involving a special use permit (SUP) or rezoning (RZ). Our analyses provide information on the impact of vehicle trips generated from the proposed land use and recommendations for traffic mitigation.
Small Area Plans in Prince William County
Through its Small Area Plan process, the County has identified specific areas for targeted future growth and redevelopment opportunities. Our suite of services assists developers on transportation issues related to the County’s Small Area Plans, including mixed use developments, relationships with adjacent established communities, transit-related issues, multimodal transportation options, and biking and pedestrian infrastructure. The following are Prince William County’s current and future in-progress Small Area Plans:
- Dale City
- Innovation Park
- North Woodbridge
- The Landing at Prince William
- Route 29
- Independent Hill
- Yorkshire (planned)
- Fairgrounds/New Dominion (planned)
Contact our Prince William Traffic Engineering Team
Lester E. Adkins III
Senior Associate | (703) 676-3646
As a Professional Engineer based in Prince William County, Les Adkins conducts traffic analyses for commercial, retail, mixed-use, residential, and institutional developments. He manages traffic forecasting, operational analyses, jurisdictional guideline review and implementation, and site level detail analyses.
William F. Johnson
Vice President | (703) 676-3653
Will Johnson manages a wide range of traffic engineering projects, including traffic impact studies, bicycle and pedestrian evaluation, master plan studies, and roundabout analysis and design. He is a former Adjunct Instructor for Civil, Environmental and Infrastructure Engineering at George Mason University.