John Schick is a Professional Transportation Planner (PTP) whose work spans transportation planning, traffic engineering, and construction. Based in Charlotte, John’s work as a transportation consultant in the Southeast includes traffic impact studies, site planning, parking reductions and analyses, data collection, technical report preparation and review, site planning and TDM planning in Charlotte.
John has worked on traffic impact and parking studies for various sizes of residential, commercial, mixed-use, and transit-oriented and transit-related projects in the Carolinas, Virginia, Georgia, Florida, Maryland as well as other jurisdictions such as Ohio, Pennsylvania, and North Dakota.
His work with both private- and public-sector clients and developers includes the development and expansion of multimodal transportation choices and the development of innovative parking solutions, including shared parking, parking reduction, and off-site parking options.
John’s project work involves performing detailed analyses of existing, background, and future conditions; report preparation in support of rezoning, subdivisions, and site plan approvals; and site redevelopment planning that includes traffic circulation analyses, road network and intersection impacts, as well as the role of transit, pedestrian, and biking modes of transportation. He testifies at public hearings and presents at community and jurisdictional meetings in support of client projects that require community engagement and input.
John began his career as a project inspector for the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.
- How did you get interested in transportation?
- My dad. He does the same thing I now do and growing up hearing about all the cool things he was involved in eventually convinced me to pursue a similar career.
- What do you like best about working at W+A?
- The company culture. Wells is not only a job, it’s a big extended family. I enjoy everyone within the company, in different ways, and the ways we interact and socialize together.
- How do you relax?
- My favorite way to relax has to be back home, sitting around the fire pit, hanging with family and friends, enjoying a cold beer, country music playing, and throwing a toy for the dogs to retrieve.
- The best advice you ever received?
- Don’t care what others think of you. When a person finally realizes this is when they learn to live and let go. You live once, so live it up.
- Favorite fast food chain?
- Favorite Sports team?
- Steelers, Penguins, Pirates. . . Bleed the black and gold
- Bachelors of Science Civil Engineering; Pennsylvania State University
- Professional Transportation Planner (PTP)