The Finance Manager oversees personnel within the Finance Department, including the Billing + Contracts Administrator and the Finance Assistants. She or he collaborates with internal (project controllers and finance department staff) and external clients to ensure W+A’s financial accounts are complete, accurate, and timely. The Finance Manager will work closely with our independent accounting firm to ensure our financial and business requirements are met.
The Finance Manager must exercise judgment and possess strong problem-solving skills in performing his/her duties while complying with established policies and procedures.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Confirm accuracy of bi-weekly, quarterly, and year end payroll reports and W-2’s.
- Prepare and submit monthly CPA reports to be used for the completion of the quarterly and year-end financial statements and tax preparation.
- Provide year-end information for tax preparation including fixed asset and depreciation reports.
- Maintain and reconcile subcontractors report and submit for preparation of annual 1099’s.
Supervise Finance Staff
- Supervise and support Contracts + Billing Administrator and Finance Assistants.
- Assist with the implementation of billing procedures and reporting.
- Manage and maintain timekeeping software.
- Maintain public notary registration for monthly billing needs.
- Prepare and process daily bank deposits via online submission.
- Manage bank accounts including automatic deposits, returned checks, stop pays, etc.
- Reconcile bank statements monthly and confirm accuracy with CPA.
- Prepare and remit all accounts payable checks including vendors, insurances, benefits, subcontractors, and employee reimbursement checks.
- Set up and maintain vendor accounts, update information as needed and resolve all issues.
- Set up and maintain subcontractors accounts including collecting and updating all legal documentation.
- Prepare and submit 1099 vendor and subcontractor year-end report to CPA.
Company Licenses and Insurances
- Manage all company insurances including professional liability, general liability, workers compensation, automobile, key man personnel life, and ESOP insurance policies.
- Manage business licenses and certifications.
- Maintain company lease agreements.
- Continually assess ongoing processes to identify areas for potential improvement. As required, participate in initiatives to improve processes (i.e. participate in working groups).
- Assist in company initiatives through committee work.
- Promote W+A’s core values.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with others and work independently.
- Demonstrated familiarity with the practical applications of personal computers and basic application software (e.g., Excel, Word, etc.).
- Demonstrated familiarity with accounting software, including Quickbooks.
Education and Experience
- BS or BA degree in business, finance or accounting.
- Seven to ten years of experience in a directly related field with similar responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- General office environment; may occasionally be required to lift up to 20 lbs.
About Wells + Associates
For over 30 years, Wells + Associates has empowered people by improving access and mobility. We keep people moving and improve networks with sustainable Traffic Engineering and Transportation Planning, and leading-edge Transportation Demand Management (TDM) solutions. Based in the Washington, DC area, we assist developers, businesses, and property owners in securing entitlements, gaining regulatory and community approvals, and designing and implementing multimodal transportation plans to create better, more forward-thinking places and networks. Developers want profitable investments, commuters demand improved transportation, and property managers need to optimize their operations. We provide the solutions.
Wells + Associates offers a competitive compensation package including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401K Employer Match
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Hybrid work schedule
- Salary is based on position, skill set, and number of years of experience.
If interested in applying, please send a cover letter, resume, and list of references to Jessica Lake at email@example.com.