Ryan Mattern is a registered professional engineer with experience managing transportation, traffic, and parking issues for mixed-use, commercial, retail, hospital, school, and transit-oriented projects for property owners and developers.
He has handled projects in a range of jurisdictions, including VDOT, MDSHA, DDOT, Arlington County, and the cities of Alexandria VA, Arlington VA, Frederick MD, and Colorado Springs, CO. His work has involved design-build projects, involvement in public meetings related to community involvement, and design workshop meetings with clients.
Ryan works extensively on transportation design projects, including traffic signal design, maintenance of traffic, street lighting analysis and design, and signing and pavement marking design. His project experience also includes parking design, highway safety audits, intersection safety analyses, interchange modification reports, roundabout analyses, bicycle lane designs, ADA handicap ramp design, and streetscape projects.
He has worked on a range of high-profile transportation projects. Among these is the Capitol Crossing development, a project in downtown Washington, DC that involves three interstate highway ramps, local streets, and temporary traffic signal designs to assure that pedestrian, cyclist, and vehicular traffic remains efficient.
Ryan’s work also includes transit-oriented projects such as the Scotts Run South and Reston Gateway developments along Metrorail’s Silver Line; the Butterfly Lane Relocation Project in Frederick, MD; and traffic design services for the Greater Richmond Transit Company (GRTC) Pulse Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system.
Q + A
- How do you like to relax?
- Playing golf - either on the course or at the range - is my meditation.
- What is your favorite sports team?
- Penn State Football, Basketball, Hockey, etc. I grew up close by going to games and I still enjoying going back to visit family and friends and catch a game.
- Where is your favorite place to travel?
- Anywhere in Europe.
- What is your favorite book to read?
- A Life Well Played by Arnold Palmer
- Who are your role models?
- My four Grandparents. All passed down countless lessons to me and accomplished great things, from raising 10 kids to starting a family business.
- Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University
- Professional Engineer (P.E.), Virginia
- Professional Engineer (P.E.), Maryland
- Professional Engineer (P.E.), District of Columbia