Melissa Jackson has over ten years of experience in finance, administration, marketing, and operations. At Wells + Associates, she plays an integral role across a range of activities, including human resources management, implementation of company policies, payroll and retirement plan management, employee orientation and onboarding, and Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) and financial administration.
Melissa is co-chair of the firm’s Marketing Team which develops initiatives relating to corporate marketing and branding, including promotional campaigns, digital outreach, client relations, community sponsorships, and other corporate initiatives. She also plans corporate events and workshops at W+A and facilitates the company’s charitable and community activities.
She joined W+A in 2012 as an administrative assistant with a degree in business management from Virginia State University. Over the years she has had responsibility in many areas of the company, including accounts payable, daily operations, payroll management, event planning, and administrative support to staff and executive management.
- What do you like best about working at W+A?
- I like that my job is forever changing. I also like the ESOP culture, which affords opportunities for each employee to have a voice and an imprint on the successes of the company.
- Personal life philosophy?
- Always look forward to Mondays. Enjoy what you do, and the people that you encounter throughout life.
- Plane, train, car, or bike?
- Trains are amazing. I love comfortable hassle-free travel. No checked bags, extra foot room, free wi-fi, electrical outlets, and beautiful views. What more could a traveler want?!
- If you could live in any other time period, what would it be and why?
- I would live in the 1920s. I am so fascinated with the fashion, movies, music, and influential culture. The 1920s era was so extravagant, dramatic and charismatic.
- How do you like to relax?
- I relax in various ways such as road trips, visiting Trader Joe's, Home Goods, bookstores and libraries. I enjoy going off the beaten path and exploring various streets and cities. You never know what treasures are at the end of an unexplored road. Trader Joe's and Home Goods are my happy places. Both stores are very inviting, organized, peaceful, and the staff are very hospitable. I can be a bit of a book worm at times and I love it! Walking through aisles of books brings a sense of calm, creativity, and inspiration.
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
- Listen and ask the right questions.
- What was your favorite subject in school?
- Science. I was always fascinated about hypothetical reasoning for the “why’s and how’s” of everything, and the mathematical equations to further support hypotheses.
- Bachelors of Science Business Management, Virginia State University
- Virginia Commonwealth Notary Public