Lydia Shackelford is a strategic marketing and communications professional with over a decade of experience designing and implementing communications plans and campaigns. As a Transportation Demand Management specialist, she develops successful public outreach and marketing campaigns for clients and projects throughout the nation.
Lydia is an effective and experienced public speaker with a thorough understanding of client and media relations. In developing communications strategies for our clients, she creates press releases, newsletters, website content, brochures, and technical documents while also managing project budgets and maintaining program timelines. Her skills span strategic messaging and social media, and include program monitoring and evaluation.
- What do you like best about working at W+A?
- My favorite things about working at W+A all include our company culture. There’s a work hard, play hard mentality here, which makes coming to work both rewarding and fun. I think working with bright, motivated, and energetic people brings out the best in everyone, and in turn makes it a really enjoyable work environment.
- Personal life philosophy?
- I read once that no matter how you feel, you should always get up, dress up, and show up. I try to live by this philosophy every day by not allowing things to sideline me. I try to put what matters in front of me and what doesn’t behind me.
- Who are your role models?
- My parents are the perfect role model pair. My dad portrays an incredible work ethic for my brothers and me to emulate. He has always worked hard to ensure he lives the best life possible and provides the best life for his family. And my mother is by far the most beautiful, kind, and entertaining woman you’ll ever meet. Together, they’re unstoppable. Not to mention they throw incredible parties.
- Best advice you’ve ever received?
- A few years ago someone told me to frame every troublesome situation with the question, “Will this matter in five years?” When I find myself worrying or stressing out about a situation, I try to remember that, and it really helps frame what’s truly important.
- Uber or Lyft?
- Uber! I recently got my passenger score from them, and I had a perfect rating. My love for Uber runs deep.
- Favorite sports team?
- I’m a huge sports fan. You can always find me rooting for my beloved New York Yankees and Houston Texans.
- Bachelor of Arts (Honors), Communication: Public Relations, George Mason University