Traffic Study Recommends Improvements to Accommodate 66% Hospital Expansion
Inova Fairfax Hospital (IFH) is the largest hospital in Northern Virginia, and the flagship hospital of Inova Health System. W+A has provided traffic engineering and transportation planning services to IFH since 1994.
Located on Gallows Road, IFH proposed to expand the existing campus building square footage by 66 percent – from 1,426,882 S.F. to 2,363,261 S.F. Included in the expansion plan was a new entrance to the hospital on Woodburn Road/Centers of Excellence Boulevard.
Wells + Associates conducted a traffic study. We demonstrated that, with infrastructure improvements to the adjacent roadway, the proposed site plan could adequately accommodate the proposed hospital expansion.
Our traffic engineering recommendations included:
- A new traffic signal at the Woodburn Road/Centers of Excellence intersection
- Construction of a third southbound lane on Gallows Road from Anderson Drive to the
- existing Grey Entrance
- Restriping of the Blue Entrance
- Improvements to the intersection of Gallows Road/Woodburn Road/I-495 Outer Loop off ramp
- Signal timing improvements along Gallows Road