W+A recently completed work associated with the Georgetown University Campus Plan. The Campus Plan will govern the development of Georgetown University’s Main Campus over the next 20 years. The transportation component of the Campus Plan was an exciting and challenging project that drew upon W+A’s Engineering and TDM expertise to develop unique solutions to complex issues. Throughout the course of the Campus Plan process, the project team provided the following services:
- Shuttle bus planning, including assessment of impacts to headways based on route changes, the design of a new bus plaza on campus, and research and procurement recommendations for mini-shuttles to transport people with mobility issues from the new bus plaza to other locations on campus;
- Conceptual design of a new entry court on the north side of campus and a new east-west roadway on campus;
- Development of complex trip generation profiles for the University, including MedStar Georgetown University Hospital based on data specific to each institution;
- Analysis 23 intersections surrounding Campus;
- Coordination with community stakeholders and DDOT to develop trip reduction goals for both the University and Hospital; and
- Development of Comprehensive TDM Plans and Monitoring Programs for the University and Hospital to ensure that the trip reduction goals are met.
The District of Columbia Zoning Commission unanimously approved the Campus Plan in December.