Are you looking for opportunities to help create communities where everyone who lives, works, and plays there is empowered by enhanced access and mobility? Do you love looking at data to find a story? Then join our team in our ongoing effort to keep people moving and improve networks with sustainable Traffic Engineering and Transportation Planning, and leading-edge Transportation Demand Management (TDM) solutions.
WHO ARE WE?
Wells + Associates creates and implements sustainable, cost-effective transportation solutions for commercial, residential, governmental, and institutional developments across the United States.
Our Transportation Demand Management (TDM) team goes beyond the single occupancy vehicle of the 20th century to create modern transportation choices for commuters, property managers, residents, and developers.
A START-UP MENTALITY
Although W+A is an established consulting firm that is entering its 27th year of serving clients nationwide, we are continually looking at data to help start and grow new practices and ideas within our firm. You need to show up to work with a get-stuff-done attitude and an understanding that no work that needs to be done is above or below you. While our company culture is friendly and cooperative, we are hyper focused on growing the business in an intelligent, entrepreneurial manner.
A DRIVE FOR SUCCESS AND GROWTH
W+A is focused on strategic growth and this position is key to helping us offer cutting-edge solutions to our clients while growing the firm. While there are established responsibilities of the job starting on day 1, we are always open to new ideas on how data and information can improve our client service, our service offerings, and our company. We are looking for someone to “own” it and “run” with it.
STRONG VALUES AND WORK ETHIC
W+A provides important services to our clients and communities they are building. It is critical that we maintain absolute integrity in our business dealings while aiming to provide insights to our clients that may not be readily apparent to them. You will have the full support of an employee-owned, award-winning transportation firm and you will be a valuable member of that team.
PASSIONATE ABOUT FINDING THE STORY IN DATA
During your day, you will interact with colleagues, clients, and individual commuters to proactively gather information and analyze it to better understand about how transportation networks perform and build tools that automate certain processes within the company. Like any data scientist, this position requires someone with a passion for discovering hidden insights and solutions. We are looking for those solutions and insights in large data sets in order to better serve clients, drive business results, and inform strategic decision making.
Data Scientist Associate
The primary function of the Data Scientist Associate is to proactively gather information from various sources and analyze it for better understanding about how transportation networks perform and build tools that automate certain processes within the company. The Data Scientist will support our planning, engineering and marketing teams with insights gained from analyzing client transportation data. The individual will use large data sets to find opportunities for transportation network and system optimization and apply models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action.
They must have strong experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, using a variety of data tools, building and implementing models, using/creating algorithms and creating/running simulations. They must have a proven ability to drive business results and strategic decision making with their data-based insights. The right candidate will have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Data Scientist generally assists with the following duties.
- Lead client relations/customer service tasks.
- Lead preparation for and completion of regular meetings with clients and partners.
- Train staff, as applicable
- Function as an active participant in team level decision making
- Assist with business development functions including networking events, proposal development and client relations.
- Assist with tracking of area RFPs, RFQs, and business development opportunities, RFPs, RFQs and other relevant activities.
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with key clients and employer partners.
- Monitor industry statistics/applications and follow trends in trade literature.
- Assist with project start up documentation, kick off meetings, contract management and project close out documentation.
- Assist with tracking and maintaining project budget and profit (as noted in project start up documentation).
- Maintain schedule for key project tasks.
- Assist with on time invoicing and accounts receivable.
- Provide transparent documentation to administration and management on project status and notification of any project issues.
- Lead analysis and evaluation of demographic and transportation information to discern needs and trends.
- Lead design and implementation of survey-based market research.
- Communicate data analysis findings process and issues in a clear and concise manner.
- Oversee the development of deliverables that are thoroughly researched and prepared, as well as technically and grammatically correct.
- Lead strategic recommendations to achieve objectives for clients.
- Lead the research, identification, and implementation of innovative transportation planning tools and processes.
- Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive business solutions.
- Mine and analyze data from company databases to drive optimization and improvement of service delivery, marketing techniques and business strategies.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets.
- Use predictive modeling to increase and optimize customer experiences, revenue generation, ad targeting and other business outcomes.
- Develop company A/B testing framework and test model quality.
- Coordinate with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes.
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy.
Advanced Technical Skills – At Least Five
- GIS (Required)
- Data manipulation using spreadsheets and statistical computer languages including R, Python, SLQ, etc. (Required)
- Technical writing (Required)
- Customer Relations Management (CRM) database management including Salesforce.
- Data visualization and presentation
- Data architecture creation
- Survey development and analysis
- Vehicle trip reduction modeling
- Research on best practices in TDM
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications.
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques
- Experience analyzing data from 3rd party providers: Google Analytics, Site Catalyst, Coremetrics, Adwords, Crimson Hexagon, Facebook Insights, etc.
Advanced Professional Skills – At Least Three
- Information Analysis (Required) (including strong decision making and analytical abilities)
- Presentation Skills (Required) (Including an ability to communicate clearly and professionally, both verbally and in writing)
- Customer/Client Focus (Required) (Including a highly developed sense of integrity and commitment to customer satisfaction)
- Results Driven (Including a drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques as well as a desire to change travel behavior and understanding opportunities to do so).
- Communication Proficiency (Including listening & phone skills)
- Problem Solving (Including providing customers with best solution to meet their needs and resolving any conflicts that they may perceive)
- Quality Focus (Including a strong detail orientation and communication/listening skills as well as a demonstrated passion for excellence with respect to treating customers)
- Product and Market Knowledge (including awareness of all commute choices to provide best recommendations)
- Documentation Skills (including documenting all interactions with commuters to track long term changes in travel behavior)
- Multi-tasking (including time management and organizational skills)
The Associate III should have 3-5 years of experience manipulating data sets and building statistical models. Must work well under pressure, be able to juggle many projects simultaneously, and have strong interpersonal and communication skills. Must also have an excellent sense of priorities. Knowledge of transportation strategies and policies a plus.
We look forward to hearing from you. Please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Wells + Associates
Attention: Justin Schor
1110 Bonifant Street, Suite 210
Silver Spring, MD 20910